Friday, February 6, 2009

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen."
Ernest Hemingway

I love overhearing conversations. There were two guys next to me just now talking about protest music. I wanted to tell them about the great labor songs of the early 20th century, but I didn't want to interupt. The guy with the plaid scarf talked about sixties protest songs, and mentioned that he knew that "a bunch of old folk songs are protesting stuff too." He would love to teach a class on protest songs, and to discover more. His friend, I think, has heard all this before, but I hadn't, and I was interested. Plaid Scarf and his friend replaced a group of girls comparing lip piercings and dietary restrictions. Having twice been vegetarian, I'm always interested in why people leave off eating meat. The girls ranged from fish-eaters to vegans and excessively pierced to unpierced. Now, in front of me is a couple on their first date. She has fantastic eyes and he is an enthusiastic talker. I think they'll have a second date.
I love people in general, even if I don't always like particular people. As strangers, they're so pleasant and interesting. I think I could find something about most people I see to like. I remember reading that God loves us because He puts His goodness into us and then finds it there. I've always liked that image, God continually surprised and thrilled to discover His joy in each and every one of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment