Thursday, February 12, 2009

"When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest."
- Hemingway

Yesterday and today have been lovely, warm, and wet days; and I have wandered all around town without my gloves and without worrying about my destination. It is too warm for worrying and too pleasent for staying in. Even this afternoon, under the heavy clouds it is a day for being outdoors and breathing the spring air. I know the warmth won't last - it's too early for true spring, but I am enjoying what I have while I can.
St. Valentine's day is on Saturday. It is also the feast of Sts. Cyril & Methodius. They are the patron's of my old Ukrainian church and I never think of them without thinking of that lovely parish. It was, without a doubt the most welcoming parish I have ever belonged to, fully orthodox, beautifully adorned, and so wonderfully passionate.
I'm surprised to hear that so many people hate Valentine's day. Either because they're single or because flower's are more expensive and restaurants more crowded on this day! I love Valentine's day. When I was single I loved going out with my single friends and now I love going out with my husband. I love celebrating love and joy and friendship. If flowers are more expensive and restaurants more crowded, it's only once a year, and it's fun being in the thick of everything, waiting an hour for dinner, and compare overpriced flowers with the dozen other couples waiting with us.

2 comments:

  1. Emily!
    This is Tracy, Barb's daughter. I just sat down on my mom's computer and she happened to have you blog opened because your mother just sent her the address.
    I just wanted to tell you that your writing is beautiful and I will definitely continue to keep up with your blog.
    Happy Tuesday :-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thanks Tracy! How are you? congratulations on your wedding! I'm so glad you like my blog, I have a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete