Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"The only way we can be saved from succumbing to the inflation of words is if we have the courage to face silence and in it learn to listen afresh to the Word."
Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI)

Now that it's summer I'm beginning to feel stifled in the city. I want to wander in woods where no one can see me and stand barefoot under the trees while moonlight comes down between the branches. We have just renewed our lease, and so can stay another year in our beautiful apartment, and I am determined that at the end of this year we will be on our own land. There really aren't many better places to "learn to listen afresh to the Word" than a quiet wood at night.

I've been neglecting writing, the borrowed internet we had at home is gone again and in the rain all last week I couldn't be certain of making it to a cafe without getting caught in another shower. Our seedlings are out in the garden now, some doing better than others, but all alive and striving. I'm preparing for a solstice pottery sale out of the apartment, and hoping it will go very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment