Tuesday, March 20, 2012

50 Days of Self Reflection: Day 19

If you were a tree, what sort of tree would you be?

I would be a beech tree, if I could choose, with smooth bark and leaves that turn bright gold in the autumn and rattle away in the winter wind. Beeches comfort me. They're grand, but homey, common, but each one seems exceptional in it's own way. We have a beech at the head of the property, gracefully curved from some storm long ago, with wide branches that reach out across the road, and a look of welcoming in it's leaves.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is a good question. And I like beech trees. :)

    Hmm... Apparently it's also a hard one. I've been sitting here thinking about it for several minutes. Let's see. Weeping willows are my favorite. They like to grow in quiet places where there's plenty of water, and they create their own little world behind the fronds. While they might try to grow straight as a poplar, they wind up ratcheted in a thousand directions with more limbs than they know what to do with. They get lashed about something ferocious in the wind, but they're among the first to open up new leaves in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful. I love willows! We have none, but I can see you in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. something stumpy and useful! Apple would be good. Apples are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I can see that! Especially with all the pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete