Tuesday, April 10, 2012

50 Days..Day 23

What was the last thing to make you cry?

Oscar Wilde’s fairy tales, actually. Especially The Young King. We’ve recently found a book of all nine of them (written for his sons) and have been devouring them. His sense of the motives and attitudes of other people is amazing and hilarious, but the tales themselves are often incredibly sad. The Young King is so powerful, Wilde writes with such a sense of love for his characters, and, it seems, a hope for mankind. It was a good cry.

6 comments:

  1. Hm. Oscar Wilde, almost. Yarrow's birth, almost. Have to say, the last time I watched The Abyss. Awesome movie.
    -The Neglected Husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm..
    baby: not so much.
    Beautiful fairy tales: not so much.
    Cheesy sci-fi: tears...

    what does that say about you, dear? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T REMEMBER. That's why I haven't commented yet. :) I don't think it was that long ago, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday. And I can even give you the link!

    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/04/i_remember_you.html

    I guess I will have to read Oscar Wildes's fairy tales now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha..Jenna, you're lucky you didn't inherit The Crying Gene that Laura and I have..I cry at country songs, commercials, everything..it's bad. :) And it's my mom's fault!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Crying Gene is the worst, oh my goodness. Jenna, do you know what made me sniffle today? Reading the words "Frodo and Sam" on your blog.

    blah, heredity. . .

    Also, Jenna, no tears for Anna K??

    ReplyDelete