Friday, March 21, 2014

Lenten Icons: Blessed Silence


"Deep I go down into myself. 
My God is dark and like a webbing made of a hundred roots
that drink in silence."*

Generally considered a Christmas Icon, I can't help but run to the Blessed Silence in Lent as well - when all is quiet and waiting. At Adoration the other day, Yarrow whispered to Seth "Jesus is very, very, very, very good. And he is very fun." He is Silent, beautiful, and like my daughter, I want to surround Him with adjectives. Enthusiastic, repetitive adjectives, but He prefers the quiet of an eager soul that rises up, past the adjectives and participles, beyond all language limitations; two between whom even He cannot find a difference.

"Let your beauty manifest itself
without talking and calculation.
You are silent. It says for you: I am.
And come in meaning thousandfold, 
comes at long last over everyone."*


*Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment